Media Whore

"I only came here to do two things tonight, drink some beer and kick some ass...Looks like we're almost outta beer."

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Glory Days

Do they have after-school progamming these days? And I'm not asking about cartoons, I mean the kind of shows that we used to watch. Do kids these days even know about the "After School Special"? Or about Electric Company? Or how about good old Dance Party USA? I used to rush home from school to watch these shows!

I guess when I was younger I watched more cartoons. My favorites were Thundercats, He-Man and She-Ra, Plastic Man, Inspector Gadget, and Beverly Hills Teens (I think that was in junior high). Aww man, just thinking about all those cartoons really takes me back.

I can remember walking home in elementary school (when I still lived in San Jose) to my babysitter, Wanda. It always took forever because I had to wait for three other kids: Kenny, Nikki and Caryn. And then we would get there and have to sit outside and eat our snack. I can only remember the little plastic cups we got. I remember trying to get the other kids to hurry so that we wouldn't miss Thundercats and He-Man ("By the power of Graceskull..."). Then we would be banished to the backyard where we were not allowed to play on the grass. Strangely enough we weren't allowed to sit on the couches either...what kind of babysitter was this!?!?

But I digress...back to my shows...As I got older I would rush home from junior high every day to catch Beverly Hills Teens. And after that it was frantic homework doing so that I could be "in place" to watch Dance Party USA. I had a crush on a different Jersey boy every week I think. I just wanted to be on that show soooo bad. I thought those kids were the coolest! They were so lucky. Nowadays I rush home to see...nothing. Actually TNT replays Angel at 5pm, so I guess that isn't too bad...And I do love me my Jeopardy at 7!

Even Saturday Morning cartoons aren't what they used to be! Is it so bad that I long for the days of simple drawings, dumb voices and reduntant storylines!?! My two favorite Saturday morning cartoons were The Littles and The Snorks! Let me know what yours were!

4 Comments:

At September 22, 2004 at 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the greatest taste in cartoons. I also like some of your movie choices that you've posted previously. By the way, thanks for posting that picture of yourself. You are SMOKING.

 
At September 22, 2004 at 10:42 PM, Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Thanks! But why are my admirers always anonymous!??!

 
At September 24, 2004 at 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What good would it be to know who I am? You're a doll, live it up. Anon RULES!

 
At October 10, 2004 at 3:36 AM, Blogger SJ said...

Not sure whether it's a good idea to admit this in public but even though I haven't seen "He Man" in about 15 years, I can still remember the opening sequence. Word for Word.

So now I've admitted it, my next quandry (I like quandry, it is a good word) is whether or not to recite it here. You might think I'm a nerd if I do. Then again you probably think I'm a nerd anyway, so I might as well. Ahem...

"I am Adam, Prince of Eternia and defender of the secrets of Castle Greyskull. This is Cringer - my fearless friend! Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword and said 'By The Power of Greyskull! I Have The Power!' Cringer became the mighty Battle Cat, and I became...HE MAN! The most powerful man in the Universe..."

And now I think I'll hide somewhere quietly...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home